General Joseph Martin Chapter

Cumberland Gap, TN


Cumberland Gap Patriot

James Logsden

James Logsden, one of Kentucky great Indian fighters, and participant
in the battle of Piqua, the Last Revolutionary war battle fought in
Ohio, was born in 1766 in Maryland. By 1780, Logsden's parents had moved
the family to Virginia. In June 1782, at the age of 16, Logsden joined
an expedition to Kentucky with George Rogers Clark. Logsden arrived in
Kentucky in the month of July 1782.
         In July 1782, Over 1100 Ohio Indian tribesmen met at
Wakatomica, located near present day Dresden Ohio, to discuss attacking
Kentucky settlements.  The Indians soon heard reports that Clark had
arrived in Kentucky, and was planning an expedition to the Ohio Country.
the Rumors of an expedition soon turned out to be false, Clark had
fooled the Indians by placing several patrol boats in the Ohio River,
and having his men patrol the Ohio River. The Indians soon gave up their
plans for an invasion.
         On August 15, 1782, 300 Ohio Indians attacked Bryan's
Station consisting of 40 cabins. On August 17, 1782, 300 Ohio Indians
defeated 182 KY militia frontiersmen in the battle of Blue Licks. Over
72 KY frontiersmen were killed making it the worst Indian attack up
until this time. The Battle of Blue Licks was also the last
Revolutionary war battle fought in Ky.
           Clark was blamed for the defeat at Blue licks even though  he
wasn't there. Clark  decided to form an expedition into the Ohio Country
to punish the Ohio Indians. This expedition was called the Miami
Expedition or sometimes known as the Pickaway town expedition. In
November 1782, Clark met 1050  men, including Logsden at the Falls of
the Ohio River near present day Louisville. Logsden and the rest of the
troops marched, and crossed the river at present day Cincinnati, Ohio,
arriving in the Pickaway Plains.
          The Pickaway plains, had been the site of the Camp Charlotte
Treaty signed in October 1774,ending the Lord Dunmore War in Ohio. It
had also been the scene of many Indian battles between  the Ohio
Indians, and the KY, and VA militias. In 1781, The Indian town,
Chillicothe had been burned down to the ground by a Col. Bowman. The
Indians rebuilt the town after Bowman and his militia left the area.
after 6 days of marching, Clark and his men arrived at the Indian
village of Chillicothe  finding it abandoned.
        For the next two days, it rained so hard that the gunpowder
became so soaked that the weapons wouldn't fire. Had the Ohio Indians
attacked during this time, Clark's men probably would have been
massacred. After It quit raining, Clark and his men dried their muskets
by the fire. After the rain, Clark ordered the town of Chillicothe
burned to the ground, and to march to the Indian Village of Piqua.
Before arriving at Piqua, Clark and his men ran into an ambush by Ohio
Indians.  A small skirmish soon took place last for several hours.
Logsden fought bravely. Clark soon defeated the Indians. After
defeating the Indians, Clark marched to the Indian village of Piqua.
       At Piqua,  Clark found  the Indian village deserted with pots of
hominy still cooking on the campfire. The men were so hungry that they
ran to the fires, grabbing as many pots of hominy that could carry ,and
began gorging themselves, forgetting all about the possibility of
another Indian attack while they ate. After eating, Clark ordered the
village of Piqua, and 500 acres of corn burned to the ground.
         For the next few days, Clark and his men marched through the
Pickaway valley burning 3 more Indian Villages, and a Trading Station
named Lorimar Station to the ground. Lorimar Station had been built in
1769, and had became a meeting place for the Shawnee during Lord
Dunmore's war to plan attacks on Virginia settlements. Also a Shawnee
chief named Molutha was wrongfully killed by one of Clark's men when he
was accused of participating in the battle of Blue licks.  Molutha had
not been at Blue licks. Actually very few Shawnee had participated at
the battle of Blue licks. When it was soon realized that Molutha had
been wrongfully accused and Killed, Clark ordered the man responsible
court martialed. The Miami Expedition had accomplished the total
destruction of all the Miami encampments. For the next two years, there
were no Miami or Ohio Indian attacks in KY. The Soil of Ohio had became
drenched with blood before it would reach Statehood in 1803.
         Logsden spent most of the next two years scouting for Indians
along the Salt River In Ky. In April 1785, Logsden was discharged from
the KY militia. After his discharge, Logsden moved his family to Hart
county KY, where he died in 1839.
        During the Civil war, Hart county supported the Union army. Two
battles occurred when the Confederates unsuccessfully tried to take the
railroad bridges at Munfordville KY.


All Contents Copyright 2004 2009 - The General Joseph Martin Chapter TNSSAR All Rights Reserved.   No part of this material may be reprinted or utilized in any manner without express written consent from The General Joseph Martin Chapter TNSSAR.