General Joseph Martin Chapter

Cumberland Gap, TN


Cumberland Gap Patriot

John Boggs

John Boggs was born on January 11, 1759 in New Castle Delaware. In 1777, Boggs joined the 2nd Delaware Battalion of the Delaware Continental line. During the Revolutionary war, the Delaware Regiment was the best equipped and best trained of the colonial Regiments. They also carried mascot with them into battle, a Blue hen. The Delaware Regiment troops were nicknamed the Blue hens.    The first battle Boggs would participate in was the battle of Brandywine. At Brandywine, the 2nd Delaware was placed under the command of Col. Moses Hazen located 6 miles above Chadds Ford.
Col. Moses Hazen was the first to spot Cornwallis, one of the British commanders and his troops in a flanking maneuver about 11am. Hazen reported the British movements to Washington. Hazen’s regiment was sent to the rear to reinforce Gen. William Alexander, also known as lord Sterling to his men. At 2pm, the British attacked the rear of Washington’s corps. Hazen’s regiment was shattered by the Hessian Grenadiers and forced to retreat. At the battle of Brandywine over 1000 Continental troops were killed and over 400 taken prisoner.
 Boggs would participate next in the battle o f Germantown fought On October 4, 1777. At the battle of Germantown, the Delaware Continentals were the first to run out of ammunition firing at the Clivedine Mansion where the British had barricaded themselves in. Most of the paper cartridges used during the battle of Germantown was made in local paper mills around Philadelphia.
 On December 19, 1777, Boggs entered into the Valley Forge camp with 12000 other troops. At Valley Forge, the Continental tro0ps suffered many hardships. Within one week, over 4000 men were in infirmary complaining of all sorts of Illnesses due to cold weather, dysentery and smallpox. Out of the 4000 men who would enter the infirmary over 2500 would die. Over 500 men would die from smallpox. Camp life became so difficult at Valley Forge due to lack of winter clothing, shoes and the lack of food that over 2000 Continental troops deserted and joined the British army in Philadelphia.
 After surviving Valley Forge, Boggs fought at the battle of Monmouth. Monmouth would become the greatest artillery duel of the Revolutionary war...
 In 1781, Boggs was sent to Fort Pitt to fight Indians. In 1785 He witnessed the Treaty of Pennsylvania Commissioners at Fort McIntosh between the Wyandotte, Chippewa’s, Delaware’ and Ottawa Indians and the U.S. Government. It was the first Indian treaty signed between the U.S. Government and Local Indians of a state.
In 1786, Boggs moved to lee county VA for a while before moving on to Boonsboro KY. In 1796, Boggs married Elizabeth McPherson. From this union they had 5 children. In 1832, Boggs applied for his Revolutionary war pension. On April 5, 1847, Boggs died and was buried on his farm in Richmond Kentucky.
 In 1862, the battle of Richmond took place on Boggs’s farm. The battle of Richmond was a Confederate offensive in KY under the command of Major General Kirby Smith. After a fierce Artillery duel, the confederates attacked the right flank of the Union Army. Over 4000 Union troops were taken prisoner. Today most Of Boggs descendents live in the Madison County KY region.


All Contents Copyright © 2004 – 2006 - The General Joseph Martin Chapter TNSSAR – All Rights Reserved.   No part of this material may be reprinted or utilized in any manner without express written consent from The General Joseph Martin Chapter TNSSAR.